10 most influential people born after 1946

3 years, 1 month ago

Thank you so much for your contributions. You guys are great. Just for you guys curiosity, my final list is: (in ranking order)

1. Bill Gates- Born in October 28, 1955
I. Entrepreneur, Philanthropist, and author
II. Founder of Microsoft
a) There’s over 1.1 billion people using Microsoft Products
b) More than 90% of computers in the World runs on Microsoft operating system
III. Bill Gates has donated roughly $37 billion dollars to charity
a) He pledges to only give his 3 kids $10 million dollars each while giving 95% of his $58 billion dollars to charity after he dies.
2. Osama Bin-Laden- Born in March 10, 1957
I. Founder or the Islamic terrorist group Al-Qaeda
II. Directly responsible for the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack
a) This terrorist attack is contributed to roughly 3,500 deaths
b) Cost the United States of America $843 Billion dollars
c) Caused the Iraq war and Afghan war
i. Is contributed to the loss of 4,481 U.S troops and 316 Non-U.S troops
ii. 32,195 U.S troops wounded with 30% of US troops develop serious mental health problems within 3 to 4 months of returning home
iii. The wars and their ripple effects have cost the United States $3.7 trillion, or more than $12,000 per American.
iv. Indirectly caused the 2008 recession
3. Steve Jobs- Born in February 24, 1955
I. Entrepreneur and Investor
II. Invented first personal computer
III. Founded Apple Inc, Pixar Animations Studio and NeXT
a) Apple Inc created famous products such as the Apple Mac, iPod, iPhone, and iPad
b) Traded Pixar Animations for 7% of Walt Disney Company stocks (Became largest Disney Stockholder)
4. Tim Berners-Lee- Born in June 8, 1955
I. Inventor of the World Wide Web
II. As of March 2011, a total of 2,095,006,005 people uses the World Wide Web out of a population of 6,930,055,154
5. Larry Page and Sergey Brin
I. Founders of Google Inc.
a) Google logs in 2 billion searches a day
b) Asset of $57.851 billion
i. Penetrated numerous markets such as search engine, web browsing, cell phones, computer tablets, email, social network and many more
c) Recently acquired Youtube.com and Motorola Mobility
6. Mark Zuckerberg- Born in May 14, 1984
I. Founder of Facebook.com
a) Largest social networking website in the world
b) More than 800 million active users
i. More than 75% of users are outside of the United States
7. Michael Jackson- August 29, 1958
I. Is a global figure in popular culture for over four decades
II. He is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time by Guinness World Records
III. Known as the King of Pop, his album Thriller sold more records than any other record in history.
IV. His dancing skills were impeccable and dazzling.
V. First black man to be on MTV
VI. Broke racial barriers
VII. Influenced the fashion world in many ways
8. Oprah Winfrey- Born in January 29, 1954
I. Became Nashville’s first African-American TV correspondent on WTVF-TV
II. The Oprah Winfrey Show is broadcast to 144 countries
III. She started her own television channel that broadcast her principles which inadvertently influence America.
IV. Oprah has been consistently included in Time Magazine’ elite list of the most influential people of the 20th Century.
V. Establishment of Oprah’s Angel Network which is a charity aimed at helping women, children and families become more educated and therefore empowered.
VI. Bill Clinton signed into law a national database of convicted child abuser labeled “Oprah Bill” because of her 1991 initiation of the National Child Protection Act.
9. Michael Jordan- February 17, 1963
I. Basketball player, Entrepreneur and majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats
II. The NBA states that "By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time."Jordan was one of the most effectively marketed athletes of his generation and was instrumental in popularizing the NBA around the world in the 1980s and 1990s.
III. Won 6 NBA championships
IV. “Jordan’s individual accolades and accomplishments include five MVP awards, ten All-NBA First Team designations, nine All-Defensive First Team honors, fourteen NBA All-Star Game appearances, three All-Star Game MVP awards, ten scoring titles, three steals titles, six NBA Finals MVP awards, and the 1988 NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award. He holds the NBA records for highest career regular season scoring average (30.12 points per game) and highest career playoff scoring average (33.45 points per game). In 1999, he was named the greatest North American athlete of the 20th century by ESPN, and was second to Babe Ruth on the Associated Press’s list of athletes of the century. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.”
V. Won 2 Olympic Gold Medals for Team USA in basketball
VI. Jordan is one of the most marketed sports figures in history. He has been a major spokesman for such brands as Nike, Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, Gatorade, McDonald’s, Ball Park Franks, Rayovac, Wheaties, Hanes, and MCI. Jordan has had a long relationship with Gatorade, appearing in over 20 commercials for the company since 1991, including the "Like Mike" commercials in which a song was sung by children wishing to be like Jordan.

10. Steven Spielberg- Born in born December 18, 1946 (I know he was born in 1946 but it was hard for me not to include him since he was only 13 days shy of making the list)
I. Directed Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind which defined a new generation of film which paved the way for other films with big booms and big budgets.
II. Founded DreamWorks Picture
III. Directed blockbuster many blockbuster hits (Gross)
a) Jaws ($470,653,000)
i. Transformed the whole American film industry from the post-studio dispersion of the 1960s to "the blockbuster mentality" of the 1980s.
b) E.T: the Extra-Terrestrial ($792,910,554)
i. Earned him a United Nation Peace Medal
c) Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom ($333,107,271)
d) Jurassic Park ($914,691,118)
e) Shindler’s List ($321,306,305)
i. Winner of 7 academy awards
f) Saving Private Ryan ($481,840,909)
g) War of the Worlds ($591,745,540)
h) Any MANY more

10.23.2011 at 11:22 pm

You must sign in or join to reply!

Profile photo of L.T L.T (@1love) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Hey guys I’m doing a research project for one my business classes and it involves looking up the 10 most influential people that are born after the end of WWII. So far I listed Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the world wide web). I was hoping you guys can help me figure the rest of them. So my question is who do you think is the most influential person born in 1946 or later and why?

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Bobby Whoever Bobby Whoever (@bobbyalone) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Kurt Cobain was influential for a short period of time. He’s the best I can think of for being born after the war.

[Hidden]
+

Cobain? Get the fuck out of here.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of James James (@jameslarson13) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

as much as i dont like it, oprah
mark zuckerberg

[Hidden]
+

Hahahaha Oprah might be right!

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of MIZ MIZ (@slugamiz) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Is it just influential people in business? and i think steven spielberg influenced film in a huge way, so you could include him.

[Hidden]
+

It could be anybody from athlete to motivational speaker. So far I added oprah, mark zuckerberg, and steven spielberg

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Ray Butler Ray Butler (@trek79) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

I could not help to mension Cat Stevens, have you heard his lyrics? Damn near prophetic.

[Hidden]
+

Athletes you say? Perhaps some soccer player, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Stephen Stephen (@stepvhen) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Bin Laden. ->Wars

Al Pacino. -> Characters inspired millions

JFK -> Durrrrrrr

John Lennon. -> Invented the piano

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Ty Ty (@tymr) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Bin Laden should be up there. JFK, Lennon, Pacino, Ali, Pele, were all born before 1946.

Oprah might be on there, but I’m not sure if she’d be top 10, especially if you’re talking about world history, not just US history.

Cobain, no way. Zuckerberg, in terms of his product, definitely.

Maybe one of the people who pioneered cellphone technology?

[Hidden]
+

All of these are great. Keep them coming!

My professor specifically asked for people who were born after 1946 so jfk, lennon, ali and pele would not work for this project. I would have to list them in ranking order of how influential they are base on data which is kind of hard if I wanted to use somebody like ray suggested, Cat Stevens.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Bobby Bobby (@bobbylloydxd) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

I dont really see how zuckerberg gets on the list when all he did was copy tom from myspace. facebook will be a ghost town in 5 years and the guys from google will be the big deal, they might be good for your list anyway. maybe dick cheney but hes probably to old, maybe tupac, bob marley, michael jordan is probably the most iconic athlete since then.
A lot of people talk about freddie mercury like he is a god, but idk like who the hell do they think this guy is? freddie mercury or something?
Good luck man.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of kile moore kile moore (@kile) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Michael Jackson?

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of kile moore kile moore (@kile) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Steve Jobs?

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Malcolm Malcolm (@evenagain) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

Julian assange cuz he’s a symbol of expression
Michael bay

[Hidden]
+

Princess Diana, ok maybe not in the U.S but damn she was big time for the rest of us.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Arthur Arthur (@arthurfragoso) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

tech guys? (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Tim Berners-Lee) what about Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds, and Dennis Ritchie (passed away 7 days after Steven Jobs went to iCloud (iHeaven))

[Hidden]
+

ops, Dennis Ritchie was born in 1941, he can’t go to your list :/

[Hidden]
+

Alexa, I really do not know how big Princess Diana was in the U.S, or if she was big. But coming from me, an Australian, few people have been so memorable and influential as her. Queen Elizabeth the 2nd is amazing as is William and Harry but no royal has been followed so obsessively than Diana. It is hard to explain, maybe it is her common blood, the unlikely princess, even reluctant princess. So shy yet captivating. Commanding everyones attention. A heart phenomenal in size that such a small frame can not contain, it spills into the world and affects it in such a way. It is so hard to explain.
We could identify with her, that we can not with the Queen for she is made of iron, that Diana dared us to dream a fairytale that was indeed too good to last.

[Hidden]
+

To answer Alexa’s question, they can be anybody in the world.They don’t have to be strictly born in the U.S.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of Kaleb Kaleb (@huskeyk) 3 years, 1 month ago ago

i agree with bill gates as an influential person. and i suppose that steve jobs would also be in that same vein. it’s pretty difficult to ignore technological innovators in a list of “influential people of the modern era.” with that thought in mind, you might consider people like jeff bezos, the founder of amazon.com

musically, i don’t think that kurt cobain belongs on this list as much as someone like michael jackson. but that’s purely an opinion.

could i perhaps introduce, like, j.k. rowling? she’s experienced a huge rise in influence in the past years.

also, question: is this a case in which fictional people may enter the discussion? i’ve done a project similar to this and i had several fictional people on that list.

[Hidden]
+

Stephen King just scrapes in on age. Yes, people in technological innovation are very influential. However, colour me an idiot, I did not really know who Steve Jobs was. Other than Bill Gates I haven’t heard of any of the techno-wizards brought up.

[Hidden]
+

Julian Assange and Anonymous :D

[Hidden]
+

Bono, Steve Irwin, Vladimir Putin. Man it has been slow since 1946. Even Chuck Norris was born in 1940. All I can say is you will have to swallow your pride and sign up Justin Beiber, Leland.

[Hidden]
+
Reply to this topic
Profile photo of L.T

More Posts Like This

Friday 11.28.2014

How do u review INTERSTELLAR by Nolan?

Did it make you think!?Did it make u believe the unbelievable?Did it...

Tips on increasing views of website

Hello, I currently run a website about philosophy and meditation, and am...

Your Favourite alltime romantic song

Wanna know what u hear when it rains outside your window,when you see a...