15 BOOKS THAT WILL FOREVER CHANGE YOUR LIFE

Homepage Forums Epiphanies & Ideas 15 BOOKS THAT WILL FOREVER CHANGE YOUR LIFE

Dan Adams (@athleticcapital)    2 years, 10 months ago

http://www.athleticcapital.com/2011/09/15-books-that-will-change-your-life/

Here is a list of 15 Books that have had a tremendous impact on my life. What would your own list be? How have certain books influenced your life?

I hope everyone is doing well and have a great week. Please feel free to leave feedback!

21 votes, posted 09.20.2011 at 4:07 am
+

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Moa Dickmark (@madk)2 years, 10 months ago ago

1. Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
2. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
3. “It’s not about how good you are it’s about how good you want to be” by Paul Arden
4. Ronia, the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren
5. Three Cups of Tea by Greg mortenson
6. Half The Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
7. Everything by Oscar Wilde, but specially The Nightingale and the Rose
8.Emil by Astrid Lindgren
9. Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse
10. The stranger by Albert Camus
11. The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
12. Notes of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski
13. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
14. Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata
15. The Winter Rose by Selma Lagerlöf

+
Ellie (@tangledupinplaid21)2 years, 10 months ago ago

Those all sound interesting. I have Atlas Shrugged at home but haven’t started it yet. “The Magic of Thinking Big” is a great book that changed my life. It was written in the 50s so a few parts are a bit outdated but it has some great stuff in there. It played a big part in my growth as a person. Ralph Waldo Emerson’s essays are amazing too… and of course a few of the classics; 1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451, are classics for a good reason!
I’m in the middle of “The Stand” at the moment and it’s definitely a perception changer.

+
ELI var namnet (@manimal)2 years, 10 months ago ago

I’ve read most of these, I will definitely check the rest out. Some of these book are among the best books I’ve read.

If I were to recommend more books I would recommend Ironmind, Flow, and What to say when talking to yourself. And all of Bruce Lee’s books.

+
Dan Adams (@athleticcapital)2 years, 10 months ago ago

@Moa, I really enjoyed your list and thank you! @Ellie, I couldn’t agree more with you in regards to Emerson and Transcendentalists… I will be sure to check out “The Magic of Thinking Big”.

I hope everyone has a great week and please feel free to leave additional comments. I am always looking for new books to read while traveling.

+

@Manimal- I’ll look to pick up Ironmind.. Thanks for the recommendations.

+

What do other people out there think? What 15 books have had the largest impact in your life? There are no right or wrong answers!

+
Nein Nein Nein (@organicbrain)2 years, 10 months ago ago

Zen And the Art of Happiness completely changed my way of thinking, more than I thought possible.

@Ellie You have intrigued me, I just ordered The Magic of Thinking Big :-)

+
Avatar of Jeffery Tyler Stephenson
Jeffery Tyler Stephenson (@jtstephenson)2 years, 1 month ago ago

Any of Ned Vizzini’s books. He is a great author.

+
Nancy B. (@rockernatnat)2 years, 1 month ago ago

Just recently ordered Mr G by Alan Lightman. Read the excerpt online and found the scientific and philosophical take on the creation of the universe intriguing. I don’t identify as a creationist but the book is an interesting concept.

+
Dee (@sw33tdee)2 years, 1 month ago ago

Khalil Gibran is quite amazing, in my opinion. I loved The Prophet and I’ve been reading through his collected works. The Shack was pretty good too, I didn’t want it to end.

+
Andrew A. (@biga69)2 years, 1 month ago ago

The alchemist, and The Celestine Prophecy, and Celestine Vision

+
Bromin (@bromin)2 years, 1 month ago ago

The dharma bums- jack kerouac is the shit!
if men could talk
wild nights
dune
the water of life- michael meade
a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
walden
its not really enlightening but the name of the wind is one of the most entertaining books i have ever read

+
Kevin (@mongie52)2 years, 1 month ago ago

probably pretty cliche but i Really liked Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, and hmmmmm, maybe the great gatsby by F scott fitzgerald…. i probably need to get out there and read more books

+
The_truth_is_ (@sirensetmefree)2 years, 1 month ago ago

There’s no specific order for these, I’m just going to post them in whatever order they come to mind.

1. Midwest Studies in Philosophy, Life and Death: Metaphysics and Ethics (introduced me to the topic of death in the way I enjoy talking about it most)
2. The Irony of Democracy by Dye and Zeigler (defined democracy and society in the way I think it should be)
3. The Republic by Plato (defined my beliefs in so many ways)
4. Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (changed my perspective on life)
5. Swimming Lessons by Ehrenfeld (changed my perspective on technology)
6. Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury (made me value even more the growth of my home library)
7. The Difference Engine by Gibson and Sterling (introduced me to steampunk)
8. The Dresden Files series (my imagination grew so much after I started reading these novels, and my writing started taking the science fiction/fantasy turn that I enjoy so much now)
9. Debating the Earth by Dryzek and Schlosberg (it refined my knowledge on environmental issues)
10. The Stranger by Albert Camus (really made me rethink my emotions)

+
daveb (@daveb)2 years, 1 month ago ago

desmond morris has a couple of books – the naked ape and the human zoo – where he looks at the human as a biologist would look at any other animal species. very interesting.

the first three castaneda books (on don juan) really hit me hard when I was younger and helped me approach LSD and shrooms as gifts that can be used to change your understanding of the world.

for fiction, “this book will save your life” by AM Holmes is inspiring and fun to read.

and of course my man Shel Silverstein. His poetry is brilliant, simple but has so much depth.

+
Damasias (@nan0fire)2 years, 1 month ago ago

On writing well – William Zinsser is a good read so far, I thank you for sharing.

+
Clare (@mowgli1)2 years, 1 month ago ago

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak was amazing. Also Going Bovine by Libba Bray changed my perspective on alternate universes, It was an awesome fiction book

+
epiphaniesarefun (@epiphaniesarefun)2 years, 1 month ago ago

@mowgli1, I totally second the Book Thief. Freakin’ amazing book :-)

If I had to name one book that changed my life it’d by Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. Totally changed my perspective on patience, irritation, and happiness.

+
pat (@epath)2 years, 1 month ago ago

So many books contributed to my education and enjoyment, but only one ever “changed” my life, and that was John Fowles “The Magus” in that it changed how I thought about romance.

Ayn Rand changed my life for 5 minutes when i was 15, but then I realized how solipsistic her views were.

My major was literature, so there were so many greats–Hemingway, Dos Passos, Fitzgerald, Updike, Katherine Ann Porter…that showed me what writing was all about.

Philosophicaly and spiritually, I did read things like “Siddhartha,” but was pretty closed off to that sort of life when I was young.

+
trevormsu (@trevormsu)2 years, 1 month ago ago

@athleticcapital, I have read several of those books (really enjoyed Man’s search for Meaning) and the ones I haven’t read sound very interesting. It has been mentioned, but Siddhartha was a really inspiring book for me. It made me question a lot of things that our culture tells us to take for granted, such as what success is and what matters in life. Into the Wild (another Jon Krakeur book) had a similar impression on me as well.

+
Dan Adams (@athleticcapital)2 years, 1 month ago ago

@trevormsu Great suggestion Trevor. I am currently reading Gandhi’s autobiography which is a great read. To expand upon Millman’s work indicated in my 15 Top Books, I wrote this post on numerology. I think you will enjoy it: http://www.athleticcapital.com/2012/06/the-law-of-numbers-determining-your-life-path/ Jordan is a 33/6…

+
Dan Adams (@athleticcapital)2 years, 1 month ago ago

I definitely have evolved my perceptions toward Ayn Rand because I believe she failed when confronted with the concept of duality. I love the emphasis on being accountable for your life and empowering creators, however, I think she became too attached to objectivism.

+
Mike (@mikedvs15)6 months, 3 weeks ago ago

@manimal, what books in particular have you read of Bruce Lee and which one should I start with?

+