2012 Nobel Peace Summit

2 years, 9 months ago

I want to share the extraordinary experience I’ve had these past few days. I’ve had the privilege to attend the 12th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates!! When I found out the summit would be held in my home city, Chicago, I nearly died of happiness. I knew I HAD to be part of it, somehow, anyhow! To my delight, my university hosted the summit so it would literally be down the street from the main campus! I had the opportunity to volunteer and even score tix to actually sit down and just listen to the panel discussions.

Let me tell you, I am the most inspired and encouraged I have ever been. Listening to the amazing Laureates’ stories, struggles, and ultimately their success was exactly what I needed in this point of my life. The summit started Monday and I was able to witness President Jimmy Carter, Lech Walesa (former Polish president responsible for ending communism in Poland), Mikhail Goirbachev (former president of USSR, ended communism in Russia), and Willem de Klerk (former South African president) among many many others openly discuss issues such as war, poverty, education, and pretty much most evils that plague our world.

All the other Laureates are fantastic individuals but they were clear in conveying the message that fundamental change is NOT magic, it takes tremendous work and determination. But the truly difficult part is to START somewhere. Jody Williams truly made an impression on me when she said that if every human being chose only ONE topic they felt strongly about (for example I truly care about the US immigration issue) and volunteered their time for a few hours a month towards that cause, the world would be a BETTER place.

The summit was also aimed towards the youth, meaning us! They were all in agreement that it is up to us to change the world for the better. They could not emphasize enough how important education is for fundamental change to be successful. Which is why I am talking about this, because they are right, it is up to us the youth to radically change the status quo! Their words were extremely empowering. One of the quotes that I love goes something like “one individual becomes the catalyst for change, but the critical point lies in SHARING that idea so others care”

Anyway, I have much more to say but this post would be book long! I leave with saying that tomorrow I will be in the same room as the Dalai Lama for the last day of the summit and I am ECSTATIC!!! OMG his wisdom is going to rock my world and I will make sure to share with you all!

April 24, 2012 at 5:23 pm

You must sign in or join to reply!

Profile photo of ZionBorn ZionBorn (@irievibes) 2 years, 9 months ago ago

Well that’s awesome! I would be thrilled too. The things you said were inspiring as it is, I can imagine being there.

Let us know if they’re filming this event. I would love to watch it.

[Hidden]
Profile photo of Sam Sam (@tictacfanman) 2 years, 9 months ago ago

That sounds amazing! “one individual becomes the catalyst for change, but the critical point lies in SHARING that idea so others care” that is something I needed to hear, as I have trouble with this.
Thanks! keep us posted about tomorrow!

[Hidden]
Reply to this topic

More Posts Like This

[Official] Site-Wide February Meditation Challenge!

Welcome to the first of many monthly HE 30 day challenges! We ran a poll to choose the challenge, and the winner was meditation, with dream journaling as a close second. The rules are simple: 1) Meditate at least once...

Innocence and Purity of Being

My Fourth and Last Ayahuasca Ceremony I intently concentrated on my intention with a slight sadness in my heart, that this would be my last and final Ayahuasca ceremony in Peru. While meditating I focused on clearing my...

Pure Acceptance and Surrender

My third Ayahuasca ceremony represented for me the interconnectedness of all living things and the meeting of the hearts of all beings. While sitting and meditating and concentrating on opening up my heart and completely...

The Unfurling of my Heart

My Second Journey with Ayahuasca New Years Eve My intention was to focus on opening up my heart and clearing my mind. Jose sang his beautiful Icaros and initiated the ceremony with Mapacho. I had my larger cup of...

My Journey of the Heart

My First Ceremony with Ayahuasca I just want to take some time to shed a little light on my story and my personal journey before I embarked on my journey with Ayahuasca. I have wanted to travel to Peru and South America...

I have a guy problem – I really don't like guys.

Hi. I need advice…. I am having a really hard time *liking* guys. I feel like if I make out with a guy more than once if we are drunk or just at a party I tend to have feelings for them, or grow feelings for them,...

Your biggest questions in life?

I have many questions I would love to be answered, but it occured to me there are probably tonnes more great questions I haven’t even thought of. What are some of the questions you would like to know the most, or...

Do Drugs Change You?

Do drugs change who you are, or do they unlock your inner being? I started out as a very hood drug user who knew everything there is to know about life but then i had my experiences with psychs and now im a peaceful guy...

Suggestions for a site-wide HE 30 day challenge?

**I’ve created a poll for the different types of challenges here: http://tally.tl/BEnr2** —- Starting in February, we’re going to have monthly 30-day challenges! We had a very successful challenge years...

Any Trip Stories?

I just wanted to make a hot discussion with a lot of replies and i also like sharing and listening to trip stories so if you have one feel free to share it and it might also help people who hasn’t tripped but are...

Streamlet of consciousness

blitzed in the early coursing midnight and palsied out, neatly, on the frenetic curb of a five blunt rotation. spliced into reality’s sharp edge. A gyrating universe crank silhouetted askance stilted time tableaus...

My Dream Life Infringes on My Real Life!

Hi all! For just a little background info, I have been dreaming my other life for 24 years now. I fall off to sleep and enter into my next life not skipping a beat. I will give you my dream resume: Spring of 1991-Fall of...

acid room

Hey guys this is reiko the dragon and I wanted to know about your experiences with acid and I also wanted to know if anything tops acid or comes close to the experience

Paying for college is for the experience not the classes.

Hey everyone. So my name is Chris and I actually found this website yesterday. I have been on it non-stop today in between my crazy college schedule. I have found a lot of people who are posting about how bad college is!...

Looking for friends ?

I’m Indian, 17, I read a lot, I’m pretty normal I think. Smoke weed sometimes, just looking for cool people to talk to and share worries with. I’m a good listener and have some free time on my hands, so...