30 and completely lost in life

2 years, 5 months ago

I’m a 30 yo male that moved to NYC around December after trying to find a job remotely and decided I needed to move here to find something. I have always loved the city when visiting and the idea of living there seemed so far outta reach… and I decided I just have to move and make it happen. I have been trying to find a job since, but it has proven more difficult than anticipated. The problem is I have been out of work for almost 2 years now. I was doing sales straight out of college for an IT/Communications company for 6 years before they closed their door, but it wasn’t my passion, just a paycheck. The job burnt me out because I was so unhappy for so long and I took time off to travel the states and figure out where I wanted to live after being in one state my whole life, and thats when I decided on NYC. I thought maybe I should try to get into a more creative company here and I would be happier, and maybe start off doing some marketing (closest transition from sales experience) or advertising but it seems hard to get into said fields with little experience. I have been applying like crazy and got a few interviews but I’m either over qualified (as I’m trying to start low), or under qualified and they go with someone else. I know the gap in employment is hurting me but there is nothing I can do about that (why does this time loss hurt someone in our society). At this point I really dont even know if that is something I want to do, how does one find passion this late in the game? I would love to do something that helps people and is actually rewarding but I want to be able to survive here financially and I have no other experience apart from the sales. I feel like I have to choose between a paycheck and doing something I dont like because of lack of other experiences or happiness.

06.06.2012 at 2:44 pm

You must sign in or join to reply!

Profile photo of Alicia Lee Alicia Lee (@aliwine) 2 years, 5 months ago ago

I don’t see the reality in “over qualified”.. to me that translates to “perfectly qualified”. If I was you and one of those “over qualified jobs” seemed like something you would like I would have asked them to hire you. So you know more than you “should” is there really a problem with that??

This is a situation many people find themselves in because they choose to go to college for something “easy”, “pays well” or “I guess I will like it”. A career is a VERY important choice- perhaps the most important choice of your life. It’s not too late to start over, you are only 30, but now you’ll probably retire 5-10 years later than you would have hoped.

[Hidden]
+
Profile photo of silver0 silver0 (@silver0) 2 years, 5 months ago ago

@aliwine, Yeah I was once told that I was over qualified and that they thought I would be bored. I explained I wanted to start low and learn from the bottom up, but basically they went w/ a younger guy recently outta college which I’m guessing means they paid him less than they would me (or they just didnt want to hire me). Its just a little disheartening not even being able to find something like that, and it makes me feel unhirable at this point.

[Hidden]
+
Reply to this topic
Profile photo of silver0

More Posts Like This

Saturday 11.22.2014

Let's make a life changing movie-list!

Hi guys, For the last few month I made a new habit In my life witch Is...

Mind boggling.. Free will vs destiny

Have you ever had déjà vu, the strange sense that you’ve experienced...

Cycles of mind and body, which one do you...

As a male I don’t have any clear indication of my own hormonal or...

Just some opinions on America

It absolutely sickens me that the united states is based on unity and...

Your favourite blog post on HE.

Hey gals and guys! For the new website, I have been spitting through...

Mind games? or not into you? your...

okay so this guy that i’ve known since i was little i went to...

What does everyone think of this video?

Have peace. Be love. Shred everything! www.kingsofshred.com