37 seconds to change your perspective

3 years, 6 months ago

I stumbled across this. Awesome story. Enjoy.

37 Seconds To Read: May Change Your View For A Lifetime
Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.
One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs.
His bed was next to the room’s only window
The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.
The men talked for hours on end.
They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation..
Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.
The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.
The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake.
Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats.. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.
As the man by the window described all this in exquisite details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine this picturesque scene.
One warm afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by.
Although the other man could not hear the band – he could see it in his mind’s eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.
Days, weeks and months passed.
One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep.
She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.
As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.
Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside.
He strained to slowly turn to look out the window besides the bed.
It faced a blank wall.
The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.
The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall.
She said, ‘Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you.’
Epilogue:
There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.
Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can’t buy.
‘Today is a gift, that is why it is called The Present .’

September 4, 2011 at 4:01 am

You must sign in or join to reply!

Profile photo of Em Em (@emily) 3 years, 6 months ago ago
[Hidden]

my apologies.. this was taken with my basic cell phone.. if you lean back, and squint really hard, it’s not so painful to look at.

[Hidden]
Profile photo of Bobby Bobby (@bobbylloydxd) 3 years, 6 months ago ago

thats pretty cool, is that your forearm? what language is it?

[Hidden]

It IS my forearm! I wasn’t sure if you’d know that, bc it’s stretched, & poor quality & poor lighting :)
It’s in English actually, if you can bear to look at it for that long.. it’s just a fancy arabic font :)

[Hidden]
Profile photo of Bobby Bobby (@bobbylloydxd) 3 years, 6 months ago ago

I can definitely see it now. this is not the best photo in any way shape or form but that the ink seems pretty sick. I’m such a procrastinator I keep thinking of all of these awesome things that I want to get, but the only tattoo I have is a grenade on my butt that I discovered in the shower after a drunken night in my freshman year of college.

[Hidden]

Haha that’s hilarious :) I imagine the tattoo artist had fun with that one :)

[Hidden]
Profile photo of Haakon Haakon (@hawcon) 3 years, 6 months ago ago

Lovely story! <3

[Hidden]
Profile photo of Renee Renee C (@themorning) 3 years, 6 months ago ago

Great story–once one begins to push happiness outward, the benefits are tenfold. You feel a sense of fulfillment and worth. The other person feels lightened and happy and therefore puts their own positive energy out into the world and hopefully shares it in some way as well, and so on. It causes ripples that spread further than one could imagine.

[Hidden]
Profile photo of ELI var namnet ELI var namnet (@manimal) 3 years, 6 months ago ago

The man was blind, so he made up what he himself wanted to see. This is great wisdom, when you don’t know for sure you should always assume the best. ALWAYS ASSUME THE BEST.

I think many people miss that message, it’s as important as the message of sharing happiness. You can’t share what you don’t have. Outward is the direction of everything real.

[Hidden]
Reply to this topic

More Posts Like This

Profile photo of Mad Hat Matt Can anyone else not smoke marijuana anymore?

Psychoactives definitely turn on (or off) a part of your brain every time they enter your system. No two ways about it. If you’re on the precipice of a thought or idea and you smoke, you’re either going to...

Profile photo of byebyebazman Where do you go?

When you die, where do you go? I mean sure you no longer interact with that which is (depending on your perspective)…but where do “you” go. Is it possible for you to escape the cosmos…and if yes...

Profile photo of JustinDanger The Rational Gaze and DNA

In 1998 Jeremy Narby published The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge. In it he proposed that shamans may be able to access information at the molecular level through the ingestion of entheogens,...

Profile photo of MonkeyZazu [HE 30 Day Challenge] March ’15 – Dream Journaling!

Is everyone super zen from last month’s meditation challenge? I hope so :) The challenge for March is dream journaling! Dream journaling is the practice of writing down your dreams immediately upon waking (before...

Profile photo of ELI var namnet Ethics on Polygamy

Do you guys think a polygamist lifestyle is ethical? Please explain!

Profile photo of ELI var namnet Knowing vs Living

What’s the difference, and/or relevance between knowing something philosophical-style, and actually living a new truth?

Profile photo of ELI var namnet Sexual/Emotional Chemistry – Why is this so hard to find?

So prior to meeting someone in person I had already developed an immediate connection with them online. It was 2 hours of back and forth jibber jabber (nothing serious, just friendly discussion as if we have been friends...

Profile photo of LVX I'm betting against VR being the next big thing

Google Glass and Microsoft HoloLens are both incredible feats of engineering and design. They may both thrive in certain niches and applications. But, they’ll never be mainstream. This is because neither meets a...

Profile photo of ELI var namnet I'm not satisfied with me

I am not so satisfied with me, my parents, Well wishers , friends all are the best one i got but only things here in my life i am not able to digest is its me. i am not getting any idea of what to do next...

Profile photo of nicht The Big Bang Theory Is Wrong

Every single individual atom is alive with a unique consciousness Your mind is the ruler of these atoms, whatever you think attracts certain atoms with a similar vibration and motivates them to carry on life processes...

Profile photo of My Husband isn't so loyal to me.

Hi I am 21 years old, I got married to my husband 2 years ago. We’ve been in a relationship for 4 years. We are having a rough patch in our relationship it’s pretty bad. I can’t really trust him like I...

Profile photo of Frankie Happiness?

Is nirvana remotely possible for human beings? I’ve often been thinking about how happiness can become an everyday thing… and most of the time, it seems utterly impossible. How can someone be ultimately...

Profile photo of gilberth Cool Jobs

I am planning to take a year off after I graduate from U of O (go ducks by the way), and I would like to go abroad and live very simply for a year or two. I plan to work various jobs, and have heard of some cool...

Profile photo of gilberth Cool Offers Online. Any others?

I have been doing alot of random tasks and jobs to make money on the side, and have found some cool outlets I feel everyone should get a chance at. For one, I have been doing what is called “Mystery...

Profile photo of Ellie The weird self realization trip

I’m sure a lot of you have gone through this. It might have happened to you like it did to me, one day you were fixing your hair looking at yourself in the mirror and then this strange feeling drops into you. It...