Binaural Beats Musings

2 years, 2 months ago

Typically, I meditate daily for 20 – 30 min with a breath focus. For my scatter brain, keeping my mind focused on my breath for more than 5 minutes is quite challenging but through practice, I’ve developed fantastic focus for those +- 5 minutes to where I can slowly breath in for 10-11 secs and release in the same time frame. Whenever I become aware that I have lost focus, I re-center it.

I’ve recently started infusing binaural beats into this practice with mixed results. I use these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FulLengthBinaurals/featured

I find my mind being pulled by two focuses, drifting along with the ambient noise and maintaining my breath, and these two conflict. I questioned, which do I focus on? I began to realize that, for what I want out of meditation, binaural beats is Phase (2) focus mastery and I was still in Phase (1).

For me, Phase (1) is complete when I can focus solely on my breath for the 30 min meditation session. This needs to become a without-thought occurrence. When this happens I’ll be ready for Phase (2) – Dual focus.

The holding of (2) focuses at once, Breath + Binaural. I might be a nerd, but the real-world application of this concept is very exciting. Two separate thoughts held in parallel equal focus… mmmmmmmm

08.31.2012 at 9:08 am

You must sign in or join to reply!

0
Profile photo of len len (@lifecoachlen) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@vivekhash345, I find it interesting that we have to use words to describe a state of being where language as we know it does not exist. This is akin to a deaf person describing something in sign language to a person who uses words to communicate. The meaning is there but it’s very challenging to translate from one medium to the other.

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of Vivek Hashfire Vivek Hashfire (@vivekhash345) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@lifecoachlen, Absolutely. I mean, there is a way to put it, but it only makes sense to those who have experienced it. That’s why practice of meditation/ religious systems is more useful, because a responsible guide won’t tell what the truth is so much as how to see it for yourself.

To use your analogy, its one thing to describe sound to a deaf person. You could go on describing it forever, but it doesn’t mean that the deaf man will hear. Consider how much useful a doctor is. He will only tell you that you will hear, and he’ll give you hearing aides or an operation and you’ll know for yourself how everything sounds.

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of len len (@lifecoachlen) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@vivekhash345, Haha, to carry the analogy a little further, think of two deaf people chatting away in sign language. They know what they’re talking about.

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of Vivek Hashfire Vivek Hashfire (@vivekhash345) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@lifecoachlen, but like, if everyone’s deaf, is anyone really deaf? *snort* Woohohohohah maaan headrushhh!

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of Tine Tine (@tine) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@lifecoachlen,

I use it to train my focus, focus holds the key to ‘doing’ and ‘doing it well’, my lack of focus is my Achilles heal, I see that I can learn any system of knowledge, I even see how to, but I cannot focus my mind long enough on one topic to learn is completely.

So sitting, thinking about nothing, is the act of practiced focus in its hardest form because, doing nothing is the last thing my brain wants. Once I settle into this state of focus, I’ll let it play over persistent thoughts, consider various topics, and recently, the realization that my mind and body are not me, I’ve been focusing on the real me behind the tools. While I do this I breath long and deep which is another act of focus, but also a relaxer/rejuvenator.

I am also looking into connecting my mind/body further with the end goal of grasping some control over my immune system.

So, to sum it up, I meditate for focus, contemplation, and restoration.

Why do you?

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of Tine Tine (@tine) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@vivekhash345,

I guess my question would be, is the experience supernatural or are you just experiencing your brain in a way you have not before, and its to this knowledge gap you assign supernatural elements to.

I guess what I mean is, are you sure its not just experiencing the unexperienced and the contrast is so significant that your brain cannot fathom having this ability, therefore it has to be supernatural?

Because I understand what you mean when you say ‘awakening’ or something like it, the indescribable feeling of expansion, because I have felt it myself, but I attribute it as something achieved that I could already do, I was just unaware of this fact.

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of Tine Tine (@tine) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@vivekhash345,

“As for the binaural beats, I’m curious. Is there any special way to use them?”

I never researched them before I started and the thought resulting from this context was that, binaural beats are similar to white noise, helps drown out the other sound so nothing distracts you. And to a large degree, I think this is one of the positives people mean when they talk about the benefits, whether realized or not.

As I sink into a meditative state I find this process is helped by focusing on the two separate (yet same) beats. After reseraching a little, this is what I found:

> 40 Hz… Gamma waves. Higher mental activity, including perception, problem solving, fear, and consciousness
> 13–39 Hz… Beta waves. Active, busy or anxious thinking and active concentration, arousal, cognition, and or paranoia
> 7–13 Hz… Alpha waves. Relaxation (while awake), pre-sleep and pre-wake drowsiness, REM sleep, Dreams
> 4–7 Hz… Theta waves. Deep meditation/relaxation, NREM sleep
> 4 Hz… Delta waves. Deep dreamless sleep, loss of body awareness

These are unproven, but is the reasoning behind each type.

[Hidden]
+
0
Profile photo of Vivek Hashfire Vivek Hashfire (@vivekhash345) 2 years, 2 months ago ago

@tine, Thanks for the binaural beats info.

As for your question to supernatural phenomena as knowledge gaps, it may be the case for some people. The average person doesn’t know something and merely gives it a transcendent quality.

I mean, I don’t want to sound arrogant or anything, but I don’t have the same view. I believe in things beyond material nature, but its more about having experienced them as opposed to blindly slapping the “God” label on whatever I don’t understand. To me, God exists in what is not known. That which is known is God as well. Science and religion are dualities that my conception of the “supernatural” transcends.

“Modesty and luxury are his consorts,
Day and night his limbs.
His form is the stars,
The rising and setting sun, his mouth.” -Purusha Sukta 2.6

[Hidden]
+
Reply to this topic
2
Profile photo of Tine

More Posts Like This

Tuesday 11.25.2014
0

Share your favorite playlist on 8tracks !

Write on the comments below some of your favorite playlists, wheter you...

0

Your top philosophies

What’s a philosophy you hold near and dear to your heart? Mine is...

0

Reality Check.. Some advice?

Hello people of the internet, I feel as though my life situation is in a...

0

How to help someone discover their own...

So, i recently started dating this guy, and I really really (REEALLY)...

0

Tell me something you love.

I feel so alive and new since having my son last month. It’s such...