I just moved to New York City, and damn am I busy. Because I’m on the go 24/7, I’m starting to loose touch with my healthy decision making and it’s been difficult for me to slow down long enough to be fully aware of my bodily needs (ie sleeping enough, knowing when I’m hungry, dehydrated, etc.) I’ve stopped exercising completely and I’m really starting to feel unhealthy. Does anyone have tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle with such a packed schedule, or any motivators to stay in shape and aware of my bodily needs?
@seelifebe, Howabout just starting? I do p90x, just started back up after a long break. The thing that gets me to exercise is starting and knowing that once I “press play” I won’t stop, I mean I’ve already started what am I going to do? Give up??
For your healthy diet, try to imagine your entire experience of the food: chewing, what if feels like when it sits there in your stomach, is there any type of uncomfortable feelings in your gut with the particular food? I say just listen to your body! I really like Pepsi so even when I have a choice between water or Pepsi sometimes I can feel the acidic feeling in my esophagus from the carbonic acid or the bad flavor on my tounge. When you think of it this way you are givin yourself what you want instead if withholding something good from yourself!
when i was a student in chicago i had a similar issue. here are some of the things i came up with to stay healthy:
1) take the stairs whenever possible. I would only take an elevator to class if i was running late, and sometimes, when its crowded, stairs are faster.
2) get off the train a stop or two early, if you have extra time.
3) when you go grocery shopping only buy healthy foods. an obvious over all health conscious decision wither you’re busy or not. but i would try to buy whole foods that would go in my bag and could stay there for a snack when i wanted, like a carrot or apple. when you make breakfast, just put one in your bag so your not stopping at 7/11 for donuts or something.
4) calculate sleep. personally, i know i need at least 6 hours of sleep. if i need to be up by 7, then i make sure im in bed by 12:30. that gives me 6 hours plus 30 min to fall asleep and wake during the night.
5) working out side. i don’t know what you’re doing, but i would do my home work out side when possible. its nice not to be inside all day. its also important to try to schedule some chill time. now that i think of it scheduling my time was very helpful… tip 5.5
6) i never did this, but my roommate would make a few healthy dishes in large enough portions to last her a week on sunday. so she always had a good lunch and dinner set when she had no time to cook.
7) invest in a refillable water bottle. keep it with you always. i was never a big water drinking til i got one, and had no idea i was so dehydrated. i always have a water bottle with me