List of things to Master
I’ve become bored here lately…if you don’t mind i’d love to see what you guys have mastered or would consider mastering..heck even something to pass the time would be nice, i would appreciate the input, thanks and have a wonderful day=)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
I’m currently trying to master the art of Diet and Cooking. I want to be able to cook some good dishes that are both delicious and nutritous.
And blowing two smoke rings at the same time. (I have one pretty well mastered)
If everyone here likes planning to do things, you might want to check out the Day Zero Project, or 101 amazing things in 1001 days.
There may already be a thread/topic for it somewhere on this site, but it’s retty interesting, especially seeing what the top things people want to do are, even if most of them aren’t mastering things
@chaadders, this might be useful to you and others – it’s unofficially dubbed a “Seinfeld Calendar” http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret?tag=softwaremotivation
Getting back into skateboarding would be cool.
Mastering very healthy eating.
Getting off drugs.
Strengthening my breath.
Retaining and circulating sexual energy.
Training my focus and my awareness with medit
I don’t know if I want to master anything tbh. I say this because it puts unnecessary pressure on something you are meant to enjoy doing. Perhaps the one thing I would like to master is finding the balance between becoming good at something and not putting so much emphasis on it that I end up quitting after not being the best (I say this because I have quit on a lot of things in the past when I have realised that I will never be the best at it. Stupid, I know!)
But in terms of things I would like to practice/become good at:
- Spray paint art. I guess to most this is graffiti, but I don’t want to bomb walls illegally and I don’t have much interest in learning large word pieces. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the origin of graffiti and have watched a lot of docos on street and train culture but, like tattooing, I feel if you respect the origins of the art it doesn’t mean you have to do what a large percentage of the community are doing. I am currently working on 5 by 7 sort of sized stencils and am also experimenting with abstract pieces on canvas. I would like to spend more time developing my own style in 2013.
- This year I have had the great fortune of meeting a French girl, and we have spent almost all our time speaking French with one another. I learnt the language colloquially (along with German) from a young age, and having not spoken either due to living in Australia for 11 years now, it has been great to find that after a couple of weeks back into it I am almost at the level I used to be. I was talking to myself around the house in German today (yeah, batshit crazy haha) and was pleased to discovered that I still remember a lot. I would like to be able to spend some time with German people in 2013 in a bid to refresh my brain with the other language I learnt as a child.
- Piano. This, along with drums, seems to be an instrument I was made for. I say this because as much as I love guitar, it is something that I struggle to maintain focus with after years of playing it. I like jamming post-rock kind of music but the frequency in which I am able to play with people is severely limited. Piano is an instrument I have always sat down with, and while being FAR from perfect, have still managed to teach myself basic melodies and song structure after 10 minutes of mucking around. Like drums, I would like to sit down and become more efficient as opposed to erratic.
- Building! I received an offer yesterday to go build houses on the border of Cambodia and Thailand when I have finished studying and this sounds like something I really have to do with my life. On top of that, the children there are always looking for education and I’d like to think my love for children combined with my love of languages is something that might benefit others.
- Someone already mentioned harmonica and I agree! I feel as though this is an instrument that would further my progress with my undisciplined guitar practice. Especially because I love listening to Bring Me Your Love by City & Colour, an album that has a great combination of the two!
- Fishing! Over New Years a group of friends and I are going on a camping trip up the coast. When I went to buy a new tent I decided it was time after a long break that I’d get a new/decent fishing rod and take advantage of the quiet time up there. The mornings are all scheduled for light showers so I’m looking forward to getting out there while it’s still quiet and casting a line and watching the world go by (probably crank the Alan Watts discography on the ipod while i’m at it :) haha)
There is more, but I feel as though that is probably enough to keep me going so far as plans go for 2013. As with this year, lots of things came into my life that I never saw coming, so it’s important to have some space available to take on those surprises that you decide to make a part of you :)
tl;dr I like things.
Scrap that! One thing I would like to master is quitting smoking.Over the last 8 years I have quit for 6 month periods with ease but a drunken argument with my ex would usually trigger my “Fuck it!” mode and I’d be at it again.
I’m not really one for the whole new years resolution thing but this is one I am really going to try and knock on the head as of Jan.
@jakubknight, I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is relevant to my psychological balance and to appropriate interactions in my life, then I attempt to objectively figure out the best possible application of those. This is something a person can spend their entire lifetime working on, when they are not doing anything more interesting, and it is likely something unmasterable, but it has a lot of benefit to coming close and getting better at.
I don’t really want to “master” them but I would like to try/get better at:
psychology and philosophy
emt/paramedic type stuff
counseling and helping others in whatever they need help with
other forms of outdoor recreation
I’m sure this list will change overtime, I just have so many interests and i’m in the process of trying them all out to find my niche.
In 2012 I…
• Self-taught using (including readings, exercises, etc.):
• Learned conversational Hebrew
• Read 3 books a week
• Improved myself as a pianist
In 2013 I want to…
• Self-teach more (although with more cognitive science in the mix)
• Train for long-distance running
• Improve my Russian (and Hebrew)
So I’m learning spanish already, but wanna start picking up another lanugage. I think im angling towards french, would it be too confusing to do both??
I flicked out some random ideas for OP at the start but then this turned into a personal To-Do list for each person here in 2012 so here are some of mine…
(also if you haven’t already been there, day zero project is mad cool to get ideas from. and memrise for learning random things. and coursera for actual online classes?… just in case any of you needed some resources!)
Soooo in 2012 i actually am gonna learn to do a Backflip. legit. i told myself i was gonna do it this summer but im going up north for like a month in a couple days and i had to be at home to do it so that was bad planning.
I wanna draw a picture each day. Even if its not fantastic. Just something down on paper.
I want to learn the southern hemisphere’s constellations. I was steadily working through constellations for like 2 months until i realised that they were the northern ones… So applicable here in NZ!
I have to whistle with 2 fingers. Seriously. I grew up spending summers on my grandad’s farm and i was always so envious of my brother and father who could whistle like that.
Language wise, learn french or dutch?
I want to surf semi-regularly this next year. i used to when i was a kid but then moved to the colder part of the country… and the only beach here with decent waves is a dog beach which is sorta rank because even if you’re meant to pick up the sh!t, not everyone does…
ANNNND ima build a treehouse.
there. impressive list right? i didn’t really add things that i just want to improve in. Like instruments and so on. but i do do them hahah im not completely uneducated ;P