The nose is a remarkable organ. The more you breathe through it, the better it works, and that’s something we’ve seen with thousands and thousands of individuals.
Patrick McKeown, HEx Podcast #38
Patrick McKeown is the author of the acclaimed The Oxygen Advantage.
I was first recommended this book by my friend and mentor Justin Noppé to help with my breathing during Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
The book blew my mind. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about topics like health, fitness, anxiety, and stress…
But there was so much highly useful information in this book, I knew I had to started putting the ideas into practice immediately.
Then COVID-19 hit.
The more research I did on this disease, the more I wanted to talk to Patrick about it.
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease, so the world’s leading authority on the Buteyko breathing method should surely have some useful input.
I reached out to Patrick and he agreed to speak.
It was an incredibly illuminating 90-minute discussion, and a few days later I attended his masterclass—did not disappoint.
Whether you’re new to Patrick’s work or already familiar, there will be a ton of value for you in this episode.
WHAT WE DISCUSS IN THIS EPISODE:
- How to breathe to avoid spreading and catching COVID-19
- How to breathe if you are suffering from anxiety
- The insane benefits of nasal breathing
- How to combine breath work and meditation
- The Wim Hof Method and its drawbacks
- How to measure the health of your lungs
- Simple ways to dramatically improve your athletic performance
- Simple techniques to improve your sleep overnight
- MUCH MORE…
WATCH MY INTERVIEW WITH PATRICK
Note: Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and the podcast if—you never miss an episode and it helps us to continue to keep getting great guests.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST:
LEARN MORE ABOUT PATRICK’S WORK
- 2 hour masterclass with Patrick McKeown:
- Buteyko Method to help with anxiety, panic disorder and stress
- How breathing exercises can help reduce insomnia
- Free complete Buteyko Technique for children
- Why you should run with your mouth closed
- Stimulating the vagus nerve through breathing
Jon Brooks is a Stoicism teacher and, crucially, practitioner. His Stoic meditations have accumulated thousands of listens, and he has created his own Stoic training program for modern-day Stoics.