My first psychedelic experiences were what crystalized an intentional ritual around the process of self-reflection… that is what really kickstarted my meditation, my process of journalling, this necessity of really taking care of myself.
— Paul Austin
Paul Austin (@PaulAustin3W) is the founder of The Third Wave, a website designed to improve psychedelic literacy so these powerful tools with great potential can be used in a safe, structured, and responsible way. Paul is also co-founder of Synthesis, the world’s first legal psilocybin truffle retreat in Amsterdam.
This interview was conducted fresh after Paul returned from Burning Man, so he is in a state of new beginnings and processing what I gathered was an extraordinary journey. In the episode we discuss Paul’s path from socially awkward teen to charismatic speaker and entrepreneur, the uses of microdosing, his thoughts on leadership, his current passion projects, favorite books, and much more.
This podcast is brought to you by Synthesis, the world’s first safe, professional, legal psilocybin retreat. Paul Austin and HighExistence’s own Martijn Schirp co-founded this revolutionary psychological program. The retreat is based in Amsterdam and is primarily focused for healthy individuals to get a mystical experience or a breakthrough in a personal or professional problem. If you would like to experience psychedelics with expert supervision and carefully designed integration procedures, check out Synthesis and tell them you came from HighExistence.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Paul Austin:
- Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization by Dave Logan
- Paul Austin on Microdosing: Psychedelics for Leadership Development | TNW Conference 2017
- Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal
- Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
- The 4-Hour Workweek, Expanded and Updated: Expanded and Updated, With Over 100 New Pages of Cutting-Edge Content by Timothy Ferriss
- The Perennial Philosophy: An Interpretation of the Great Mystics, East and West by Aldous Huxley
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence by Michael Pollan
- True Hallucinations: Being an Account of the Author’s Extraordinary Adventures in the Devil’s Paradise by Terence McKenna
- Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution by Terence McKenna
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- The Kingdom of God is Within You by Leo Tolstoy
Other People Mentioned as Influences
QUESTION: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Jon Brooks is a Stoicism teacher and, crucially, practitioner. His Stoic meditations have accumulated thousands of listens, and he has created his own Stoic training program for modern-day Stoics.